[NLNOG] Use of NLNOG RING nodes on HE's supertraceroute tool

Teun Vink teun at teun.tv
Thu Oct 19 17:37:02 CEST 2023

Hi everyone,

In the last couple of days, NLNOG RING admins and the NLNOG board have
received a number of questions about the new Hurricane Electric
supertraceroute tool (hosted on bgp.he.net) using NLNOG RING nodes as a
datasource.

To our disappointment, Hurricane Electric has not asked permission for
or even announced the use of the NLNOG RING for this purpose before
releasing the tool.

A number of RING node owners have indicated that they're not happy with
their node being publicly accessible for this purpose, on a website
hosted by a third party. This conflicts with the philosophy that the
RING is built on mutual trust and managed as a community.

As NLNOG Board, we understand these concerns and have requested
Hurricane Electric to stop using NLNOG RING nodes this way. In addition,
the SSH keys identified as used for this purpose will be disabled by
NLNOG RING admins.

In general, NLNOG encourages people to use the NLNOG RING to provide
services for the good of the internet and especially RING owners. The
way this was done by Hurricane Electric violated the trust on which the
RING is built and the community spirit. We will try to see if there's a
way we can make an arrangement with Hurricane Electric to enable use of
RING nodes in a way that meets expectations of RING node owners, for
example by using an opt-in model.

Please don't hesistate to contact the board or the RING admin team if
you have any questions on this subject.

On behalf of the NLNOG Board,
Teun Vink