[NLNOG] New NLNOG Looking Glass

Teun Vink teun at teun.tv
Tue Sep 20 20:07:48 CEST 2022

Hi all,

As you may have noticed, the NLNOG Looking Glass has been unavailable
for a while. The reason for this is that we had to transfer the Looking
Glass from a physical server hosted at XS4all to a virtual server
provided by BIT. In the process, we had to replace the Bird looking
glass backend with a new OpenBGPD setup. And since we were using a
(modified) version of bird-lg as a webfrontend, we had to replace that
as well with something that could talk to OpenBPGD. Eventually, we ended
up writing our own LG frontend.

As of this week, the looking glass is available again at
https://lg.ring.nlnog.net. Since we’re running a new web front end, so
some features have changed.

And since we moved the backend to a new machine, the IP addresses
changed as well (as Job already announced some time ago on the
ring-users mailinglist). If you’re peering with the LG but haven’t
done so, please change the IP addresses:

%%% ACTION REQUIRED BEGINS %%%

     Related to AS 199036 (unchanged)

     Remove OLD sessions, configure NEW sessions.

     OLD: 82.94.230.130 (please remove)
     OLD: 2001:888:2001::130 (please remove)

     NEW: 212.114.120.72 (please send all IPv4 NLRIs)
     NEW: 2001:7b8:62b:1:0:d4ff:fe72:7848 (please send all IPv6 NLRIs)

%%% ACTION REQUIRED ENDS %%%

One of the new features of the LG is that it has some knowledge about
communities used by various ASNs. You can see this if you’re looking
up routes and see blue coloured community labels. When hovering over
them, you can read more about what the community is used for. For now,
this is mostly limited to some Tier 1 networks, but we’re happy to add
information on your network if you can provide this. You can read more
about how to provide this at https://github.com/NLNOG/lg.ring.nlnog.net
(by creating a pull request), but feel free to send me a list of your
communities (off-list!) as well.

We’d like to thank XS4all for all those years of hosting the LG server
and BIT for continuing this, and Job and the OpenBGPD developers for
helping us build a looking glass server capable of handling the large
amount of peers and routes we process: ~140 IPv4 and ~140 IPv6 peers,
roughly 80M IPv4 routes and 14M IPv6 routes (and increasing)

New peers are welcome. You can setup peering and add your details at
https://github.com/NLNOG/ring-ansible/blob/master/roles/openbgpd/vars/peers.yml
(by creating a pull request), or contact ring-admins at nlnog.net.

Feature requests, bug reports, etc on the new web frontend are welcome
too. Either by opening an issue at
https://github.com/NLNOG/lg.ring.nlnog.net or by contacting the RING
Admins at ring-admins at nlnog.net.

Thanks!