[NLNOG] FW: [ncc-announce] [GM] RIPE NCC General Meeting: One Week to Register

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Wed May 22 19:00:02 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 04:19:49PM +0000, Jac Kloots wrote:
> Good call! It is important to cast a vote!

agreed. Also don't forget to vote tomorrow in the EU elections! :)

> As a note, you mention william, which indeed is a great guy, but maybe
> not the best to vote on as he is working for an IP broker.

On the other hand as co-chair he managed to resolve most contention and
conflict in the RIPE Database Working Group, no small feat.

> The influence of brokers is quite big in ripe already, and that is not
> necessarily a bad thing. Despite there will always be a commercial
> reasoning in the brokers influence. Let’s keep this discussion in the
> services and address-policy workgroups.

To me it would make sense to have representation of IP brokers in the
RIPE NCC board. Whether we like brokering or not, an IPv4 market exists
and it may be better to regulate and embrace the concept.

I recommend everyone to carefully study
https://www.ripe.net/participate/meetings/gm/meetings/may-2019/candidate-biographies
and assess what each candiate can do for RIPE and the NCC, and what
their motivations are. It's a long read, but worth it. It seems this
year there are many excellent candidates running for the board.

Kind regards,

Job