[NLNOG] bgp filter guide bogon prefixes 192.88.99.0/24

Hansen, Christoffer christoffer at netravnen.de
Tue Jun 25 14:39:34 CEST 2019

personal opinion here.

On 25/06/2019 10:41, Lannert, Julian wrote:
> Can you tell me the reasoning behind the decision to include this prefix in your bogon list?

Reading rfc7526[0]
"""
6.  Operational Recommendations

   (...) Internet service
   providers that do not operate an anycast relay but do provide their
   customers with a route to 192.88.99.1 SHOULD verify that it does in
   fact lead to an operational anycast relay (...)

7.  IANA Considerations

   (...)
   "Deprecated (6to4 Relay Anycast)" and added a reference to this RFC.
   (...)

"""

Reading the above. It makes sense to include it since status has changed
to deprecated. rfc7526 is from May 2015. Job only recently-ish included
192.88.99.0/24 in the guide (June 2018) [1].

Reading writeup[2]
"""
Technical Summary

   (...) It recommends that future products should not support 6to4
   anycast and that existing deployments should be reviewed. (...)
"""

In the light of 6to4 should be less-and-less supported by newer
products. It makes perfect sense to start explicitly blocking the prefix
in the DFZ, too.

/christoffer

[0]: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7526
[1]: https://github.com/NLNOG/bgpfilterguide/commit/488ad78