[NLNOG] bgp filter guide bogon prefixes 192.88.99.0/24

Lannert, Julian julian.lannert at e-shelter.com
Tue Jun 25 10:41:42 CEST 2019

Hi All,

First I wanted to thank you for the great bgp filter guide you provide. It is awesome to see crucial information collected and published openly for everyone.

I am in the process of implementing more and better filters and while looking over the bogon prefixes v4 I stumbled upon the prefix 192.88.99.0/24 .
You cite rfc7562 as a reference for adding this prefix to the bogon list and therefore not accepting this prefix but as far as I can see this the rfc clearly states "Networks SHOULD NOT filter out packets whose source address is 192.88.99.1" .
If I do not accept a route to 192.88.99.0/24 I effectively blackhole that network to my customers and block returning packets to 192.88.99.1 from my and my customers networks.
I checked other bogon lists that I could find, like team-cymru or kees (https://github.com/coloclue/kees/blob/e353ca9a06bca19147dcc6f607290cfd593033f3/vars_example/generic.yml), who do not include 192.88.99.0/24 in their bogon prefix list.

Can you tell me the reasoning behind the decision to include this prefix in your bogon list?

Best Regards
Julian

 Julian Lannert
Network Engineer