[NLNOG] new BGP hijack & visibility tool “BGPalerter”

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Wed Aug 14 16:56:44 CEST 2019

Dear NLNOG,

Recently NTT investigated how to best monitor the visibility of our own and
our subsidiaries’ IP resources in the BGP Default-Free Zone. We were
specifically looking how to get near real-time alerts funneled into an
actionable pipeline for our NOC & Operations department when BGP hijacks
happen.

Previously we relied on a commercial “BGP Monitoring as a Service”
offering, but with the advent of RIPE NCC’s “RIS Live” streaming API [1] we
saw greater potential for a self-hosted approach designed specifically for
custom integrations with various business processes. We decided to write
our own tool “BGPalerter” and share the source code with the Internet
community.

BGPalerter allows operators to specify in great detail how to distribute
meaningful information from the firehose from various BGP data sources (we
call them “connectors”), through data processors (called “monitors”),
finally outputted through “reports” into whatever mechanism is appropriate
(Slack, IRC, email, or a call to your ticketing system’s API).

The source code is available on Github, under a liberal open source license
to foster community collaboration:

    https://github.com/nttgin/BGPalerter

If you wish to contribute to the project, please use Github’s “issues” or
“pull request” features. Any help is welcome! We’d love suggestions for new
features, updates to the documentation, help with setting up a CI
regression testing pipeline, or packaging for common platforms.

Kind regards,

Job & Massimo
NTT Ltd

[1]: https://ris-live.ripe.net/