[NLNOG] draft-ietf-grow-yang-bgp-communities support in the NLNOG Looking Glass

Teun Vink teun at teun.tv
Thu Jul 18 23:14:02 CEST 2024

Hi all,

Some time ago Martin Pels proposed a standard for describing BGP
communities in a standardised format. The draft can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-yang-bgp-communities/.
This standard provides a formal definition of the way communities are
used within an ASN. This allows for both automated generation of the
definitions, as well as for the automated parsing of it.

As you may know, The NLNOG Looking Glass tries to provide information on
communities when looking up prefixes. We have used a custom, loosely
defined format for that for a long time, and many of you have provided
community definitions for their networks.

Now, the NLNOG Looking Glass also allows you to host your own
draft-ietf-grow-yang-bgp-communities style definitions. We can retrieve
this file from a specified location and use it for adding BGP community
details to the Looking Glass output.

RIPE NCC was the first to provide definitions for their ASNs 25152 and
197000, so if you look up routes originating from those ASNs you will
see community descriptions based on this standard. One of these prefixes
is 193.0.9.0/24, a stored output with a number of different communities
on it can be found here:
https://lg.ring.nlnog.net/prefix?saved=KSSIRWOFx3

We hope this encourages you to formalise your BGP communities in a
similar manner using this standard. Pull requests on
https://github.com/NLNOG/lg.ring.nlnog.net/blob/main/community_urls.yml
for new locations of definitions are welcome, and of course new files in
the old format are also still appreciated.

Martin, thanks for the great work and for the help getting this
implemented in the NLNOG Looking Glass!

Cheers,
Teun

PS: sorry if you received this email via more than one mailing list :)