[NLNOG] Update: NLNOG Live! this Friday

Nathalie Trenaman nathalie at ripe.net
Tue Sep 1 11:00:42 CEST 2020

Hi all,

We’re just 4 days away from NLNOG Live! Join us this Friday from 13:00 CEST for a great line-up of speakers and a (virtual) bar after the sessions.

Where?
We will be streaming live from our website, your favourite media player and YouTube. You’ll find all the links on Friday morning at https://nlnog.net/nlnog-live/ <https://nlnog.net/nlnog-live/>
After the event, we’ll gather for a drink at https://gather.town/WBffrveC9myPuHYm/NLNOG <https://gather.town/WBffrveC9myPuHYm/NLNOG>
You don’t have to register anywhere to join. You can ask your questions to the speakers on the YouTube chat or on IRC https://nlnog.net/irc/ <https://nlnog.net/irc/>

What is this great line-up of speakers you’re talking about?
We’re still overwhelmed by the support and enthusiasm of our speakers, cool collaborations and technical topics they are presenting.

We’ll start off with our very own Bert Hubert talking about career development and money. It is already 5 years ago that Bert presented on a managers perspective on network engineers. A very thought provoking talk that has over 1300 views on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hOM4p7chJY <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hOM4p7chJY> So we thought we’d ask him back to share some of his insights on career development.

Ariën Vijn is also a returning speaker and he will talk about TR-069. Never heard of that? Neither did we, so we assumed it was a new Star Wars character. Apparently, it’s not :-) We’re ready to learn something new there. Can’t wait!

Last time, we had two perspectives on OoB networks, and many of you told us you liked that, so this time we have asked Mark Schouten (Tuxis) and Ian Chilton (LONAP) to share their perspectives on monitoring. Every organisation does monitoring in a different way, so  we’re curious to hear their stories.

We’re very proud to have 3 (!) vendors back-to-back sharing their “how-to” on control plane protection. Greg Hankins (Nokia), Joris Claasen (Arista) and  Melchior Aelmans (Juniper) will talk us through their options. Take notes!

Make sure you sit tight for the next presentation. David Meyer was one of the RPSL RFC authors back in 1998 and has 38 RFCs on his name, together with Dino Farinacci, who was active in the IETF since 1994 and has 26 RFCs on his name they bring a unique insight in the history of Internet Engineering. We seriously doubt if 45 minutes are enough to share some fun and interesting stories. If not, we might ask them back :)

Our last presenter of the day is Jared Mauch, who built a Fiber to the Home network from scratch in his hometown in Michigan USA. Yesterday he had his first paying customer connected, so we’ll have a scoop on how he got there. Maybe an inspiration for all of us to start digging around in our neighbourhood?

What about my T-shirt?
The T-shirts have been ordered and we plan to ship them on Thursday. We will use envelopes so with a bit of luck, they will arrive on Friday in your brievenbus. Unless you’re outside NL of course.
We would love to see pictures of you wearing your T-shirt watching the stream. Unfortunately, we can’t take new T-shirt orders anymore.

As always, we couln't have done this without the BIG support of our sponsors. A big shout-out to all of them:
Asteroid <https://www.asteroidhq.com/> – Juniper Networks <https://www.juniper.net/us/en/> – RIPE NCC <https://www.ripe.net/> – AMS-IX <https://www.ams-ix.net/ams> – Cybersprint <https://www.cybersprint.com/cybersprint-digital-risk-platform> – Solid Optics <https://www.solid-optics.com/> KPN B.V <https://www.kpn.com/> – NTT <https://www.gin.ntt.net/> – Alturna <https://www.alturnanetworks.com/> – SpeedIX <https://speed-ix.net/> – PCextreme <https://www.pcextreme.com/> – LONAP <https://www.lonap.net/> – i3D.net <https://www.i3d.net/> – Duocast <https://www.duocast.nl/en/> – NLnet Labs <https://nlnetlabs.nl/> – Arista <https://www.arista.com/en/> – NL-IX <https://www.nl-ix.net/> – RETN <https://retn.net/> – Ebay Classifieds <https://www.ebay.nl/> – Fusix Networks <https://www.fusix.nl/> – OpenBSD.Amsterdam <https://openbsd.amsterdam/> – Internet Society <https://isoc.org/>

Tot vrijdag!
Melchior, Job, Niels, Thomas en Nathalie