[NLNOG] outdated transit-free AS list

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Tue Jun 16 15:53:11 CEST 2020

Dear Wilco,

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 02:39:14PM +0200, Wilco Baan Hofman wrote:
> Actually...
>
> This list is not about transit-free networks at all, this list is
> about IXP-free networks, which should not show up on IXPs. Like Tier 1
> carriers, not Tier 1 access networks. There are transit-free networks
> that do peer on IXPs, I would think.
>
> But if 6830 is an IXP-free network and has no plans to show up on IXPs
> in the future, then sure, add it. I'm not sure 12956 belongs in that
> list, though.

My interpretation of this list is not necessary about IXPs or not, but
focussed on 'peering' in the broader sense of the word.

If you are *not* directly peering with 6830, on the majority of your BGP
sessions you'll probably want to block announcements that have 6830
anywhere in the AS_PATH, except on your 'transit' sessions.

Whether 6830 is present on IXPs or not is not relevant in this context.

Describing what should be done in English is really really challenging!
Pull requests welcome :-)

Kind regards,

Job