[NLNOG] Implementation plan and dates for NWI5 - Out-of-region ROUTE(6) objects and removal of ASN authorisation for ROUTE(6) object creation.

Nathalie Trenaman nathalie at ripe.net
Thu Jul 19 15:24:58 CEST 2018

Dear colleagues,

In February 2018, the RIPE Database Working Group reached consensus on
NWI-5 - creating out of region ROUTE(6) objects in the RIPE Database.

We will soon be making changes to the way out-of-region objects are
handled in the RIPE Database. It's important that database users are
aware of these changes and what they mean:

1. The RIPE Routing Registry will no longer support the creation of
out-of-region ROUTE(6) and AUT-NUM objects
2. Existing out-of-region objects will have their "source:” attribute
changed to "RIPE-NONAUTH”
3. The creation of ROUTE(6) objects will no longer need authorisation
from the ASN holder

We will implement these changes in the Release Candidate environment on
Thursday, 2 August and go to full production on Tuesday, 4 September.

Our implementation plan can be found at:
https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/db/impact-analysis-for-nwi-5-implementation <https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/db/impact-analysis-for-nwi-5-implementation>

The RIPE Database Working Group chairs also wrote a RIPE Labs article
that describes the background of NWI-5:
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/denis/out-of-region-route-6-and-aut-num-objects-in-the-ripe-database <https://labs.ripe.net/Members/denis/out-of-region-route-6-and-aut-num-objects-in-the-ripe-database>
<https://labs.ripe.net/Members/denis/out-of-region-route-6-and-aut-num-objects-in-the-ripe-database <https://labs.ripe.net/Members/denis/out-of-region-route-6-and-aut-num-objects-in-the-ripe-database>>

Please contact ripe-dbm at ripe.net <mailto:ripe-dbm at ripe.net> if you still have questions after
reading the implementation plan.

Best regards,

Nathalie Trenaman