[NLNOG] (Weer) een nieuwe IX in Nederland

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Thu Apr 26 19:13:42 CEST 2018

On 25.04.2018 11:45, Jeroen Wunnink wrote:
> We have AMSIX, NLIX and a few other smaller fragmented exchanges already that span multiple larger+smaller datacenters and are carrier/vendor-neutral (more or less, let's not get into that ;-).
> Thus I'm a bit doubtful on the success of a 'local' datacenter IX that's vendor specific in a small country like NL.
>
> In the US this makes more sense, given that everyone is at pretty much the same large hubs and there's not that many mature alternatives with a decent userbase.
> Competition is good, but given the maturity of some existing exchanges here and pretty much every AS being on one or multiple exchanges as-is (pun not intended), it might be a hard sell to get people on the Equinix specific ones as well.
>
> I'm not seeing any real added value on launching these here unless I'm missing a big incentive to do so (i.e. free IX connectivity with your Cloud Exchange port or vice versa?)

From a (in this case the) DC pov: to have the same offering across all
DC worldwide. Generally, it's way cheape to operate a "local" IX only.
Hence a local IX should be able to offer lower pricing.

From a customer pov: in case you need more capacity, simply buy the
additional capacity from the "local" IX. Should save money and increases
resiliency.

Otoh this definitely will cause headache to the "distributed" IXes as
they might feel more price pressure. And I might also seem a bit unfair.
Most of the IXes invested heavily in building the interconnection
community. Launching a "local" IX now is some sort of cherry picking.
But life is not always fair.

Just my private .02€
Arnold