[NLNOG] (Weer) een nieuwe IX in Nederland

Jeroen Wunnink Jeroen.Wunnink at gtt.net
Wed Apr 25 11:45:33 CEST 2018

We have AMSIX, NLIX and a few other smaller fragmented exchanges already that span multiple larger+smaller datacenters and are carrier/vendor-neutral (more or less, let's not get into that ;-).
Thus I'm a bit doubtful on the success of a 'local' datacenter IX that's vendor specific in a small country like NL.

In the US this makes more sense, given that everyone is at pretty much the same large hubs and there's not that many mature alternatives with a decent userbase.
Competition is good, but given the maturity of some existing exchanges here and pretty much every AS being on one or multiple exchanges as-is (pun not intended), it might be a hard sell to get people on the Equinix specific ones as well.

I'm not seeing any real added value on launching these here unless I'm missing a big incentive to do so (i.e. free IX connectivity with your Cloud Exchange port or vice versa?)

Jeroen Wunnink
Integration Engineering Manager

www.gtt.net <http://www.gtt.net/>

On 24/04/2018, 18:55, "NLNOG on behalf of Arnold Nipper" <nlnog-bounces at nlnog.net on behalf of arnold at nipper.de> wrote:

    [ Sorry for switching to Enlish, but my Dutch is to bad ]

    On 24.04.2018 13:08, niels=nlnog at bakker.net wrote:
    > * job at instituut.net (Job Snijders) [Tue 24 Apr 2018, 12:41 CEST]:
    >> Er is (alweer) een nieuwe IX in Nederland, sommigen zagen deze al van
    >> verre aankomen:
    >>

    >> https://url.emailprotection.link/?a2CpwB7v-YuNg3Hr3KRdFPHjkSLCheU7rsmqNfVTOTffXyj6sFqG9WGEfOy4T1LK_lcc4f4yUPLNeb3ZlVK5QsYWisbw8h61iSs7xc3-lwWN6lqa9KZWJNqYmrONjxPbVVZxhNfVZDL0s3m2Hr6A3dhiab_xnu-XkciOmqiCCKZo~
    >>

    >> Wat is de impact op NL-IX, AMS-IX, SPEED-IX & Asteroid dat nu een
    >> datacenter naast crossconnects, power en ruimte, ook IX diensten bied?
    >>
    >> Profiteren wij als operators van meer competitie in deze markt, of zal
    >> dit leiden tot minder competitie? Hoe erg is fragmentatie?
    >
    > Wat is het punt van een Internet exchange waar je alleen kan peeren met
    > andere partijen in hetzelfde datacenter?  Dat kan je dan ook direct
    > doen.  AMS-IX biedt operators juist vrijheid van datacenterkeuze.

    According to Asteroid this was/is the real intention of an IX. YMMV and
    mine also does ;-)

    Competition is always good. However where I could see an issue is when
    DC operators also jump the bandwagon.

    From a network pov a good choice of IXes is always good as they don't
    have to put all their eggs in one basket.

    Let's see how this all works out.

    Groeten,
    Arnold
    --