[NLNOG] nlnog: SixXS is shutting down

Pim van Pelt pim at ipng.nl
Thu Mar 23 19:02:19 CET 2017

Colleagues of NLnog,

In 1999, Jeroen and I started SixXS, a project which aimed to provide
IPv6 connectivity to users who wanted to learn about the network
protocol and gain experience operating IPv6 networks. Our vision was
to facilitate migration to IPv6 in content and access providers.

We were able to provide IPv6 to 50’000+ individual users and companies
in 140+ countries, using servers hosted at 40+ Internet providers in
30+ countries. We are incredibly proud of what we’ve accomplished
together, and how many people have gotten to know all about IPv6 due
to our combined efforts.

We have completed a retrospective and rationale document, which
details our experience developing and operating the SixXS tunnelbroker
over the last 18 years. We have worked through our plans with the many
dedicated ISPs that have been involved:

https://www.sixxs.net/sunset/

We have reached out to users recently, giving them 6 weeks to make
alternative plans. We have chosen a somewhat symbolic date of
2017-06-06 to turn down the SixXS service. Our website will remain as
a tombstone.

Please feel free to pass this along to any group or list you feel
would benefit from it, and reach out to <info at sixxs.net> or to myself
directly <pim at ipng.nl> if you have thoughts you’d like to share
between now and then.

Kindest Regards,
Pim van Pelt and Jeroen Massar (SixXS founders)

--
Pim van Pelt <pim at ipng.nl>
PBVP1-RIPE - http://www.ipng.nl/