[Nlnog] DNS software

Jeroen Wunnink jeroen at easyhosting.nl
Thu May 18 08:45:00 UTC 2006

Ik heb deze vraag ooit eens op de powerdns list gegooid omdat een
collega wat issues had met z'n powerdns, dat was 2 jaar geleden (rond
versie 2.9.15), toen kwam er dit uit:

---
For LDAP a lot depends on the LDAP server. Check if it is busy, if it has
the correct indexes etc.

PowerDNS itself has been tested up to 50.000 queries/second, but not with
LDAP. This was the xbackend.
---
Depends. I'm getting a maximum of 240 queries/s on my 600MHz notebook
(PDNS and OpenLDAP on the same machine) if I disable caching
completely.

Remember that you will never get the same speed with a database
backend as with an in-memory backend (bindbackend for example). The
trick is to use high values for cache-ttl and and the other -ttl
options to avoid lookups from the database.
----
Just another hint about what is possible:
With cache-ttl and query-ttl set to 300, I get a queryperf result of
around 8500 q/sec (everything running on my 600MHz notebook).
queryperf needed 33%, pdns 60% and top 7% cpu. OpenLDAP wasn't
queried any more after all results was in the cache.

Norbert
----